The Sligo Bound Six
The Sligo Bound Six is a group of young traditional Irish musicians from the Philadelphia region who qualified to compete at the Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann (world championships of Traditional Irish music) which took place recently (August 10-17, 2014) in Sligo Ireland. On April 25 & 26, of this year these six musicians competed at the Mid-Atlantic Fleadh in Parsippany, NJ, hoping to qualify for the Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann. Between them, they qualified in 14 different categories. After months of practicing and fundraising they traveled to Sligo Town, County Sligo, Ireland, to represent the United States in international competition. The Irish traditional music and dance community of the greater Philadelphia region are very proud of these 6 musicians and all they’ve accomplished this year. See the Sligo Bound Six In Concert page for live music video clips. The musicians are:
- Alanna Griffin, from Ewing NJ, plays fiddle & concertina.
- Keegan Loesel, from Kennett Square PA, plays uilleann pipes & whistles.
- Haley Richardson, from Pittsgrove NJ, plays fiddle (and Dylan Richardson plays guitar).
- Emily Safko, from Medford NJ, plays harp.
- Livia Safko, from Medford NJ, plays fiddle & concertina.
- Alex Weir, from West Chester PA, plays fiddle.
(click on the photos to enlarge and scroll using the right/left arrows on your keyboard or the navigation arrows on the bottom of the photos)